Friday, September 14, 2012

My Experience at the 2012 RNC as an Alternate Delegate for Ron Paul - Part 3

After Rand’s speech, a bunch of Ron Paul supporters, including myself and my husband, walked out in protest to the RNC’s unseating of rightfully elected Maine
delegates. As we walked back towards our car, we saw a whole bunch of people walking towards the convention. Seeing how many there were and how late it was, I knew that they waited until after the tribute and after Rand’s speech to get to the convention. As I was walking, I also spotted a friend who I met at the Texas state convention. He asked me about my thoughts on Ron’s tribute and Rand’s speech. I told him that I didn’t appreciate Rand endorsing Romney while his father was still in the race. Just then, an onlooker who was listening our conversation chimed in and asked with an aggressive demeanour, “Well what should he have done?!" "Not endorsed Romney until after he was the official nominee”, I replied calmly. He then asked me if I would vote for Mitt, and I said, “After being a part of all of this, probably not.” That really made him mad and he started arguing with me, getting closer to my face, growing progressively more hostile and even sweating. It really seemed as though he was ready to fight me. At that point, my husband indicated to me that it was time to get out of that situation, so we walked away. The drive back to the hotel was spent solemnly pondering whether or not I could stomach another day of this charade.

By the next morning, it was clear that I had had enough, and I had solidified my decision not to go to the convention. Instead, I watched the fake politicians giving their self-glorifying speeches at their scripted convention from my hotel television. I do not regret missing that last day because it was well spent getting my happiness back and getting reacquainted with my husband at the beach. Ron Paul describes his views about the Republican Party in his book, The Revolution: A Manifesto, the best: “A substantial portion of the conservative movement has become a parody of its former self. Once home to distinguished intellectuals and men of letters, it now tolerates and even encourages anti-intellectualism and jingoism that would have embarrassed earlier generations of conservative thinkers.”

I myself am a Libertarian, like my hero Dr. Ron Paul. I feel that Libertarianism is the party for the intellectual, conservative, liberty-minded, free thinkers and freedom fighters. We are growing in numbers, and the founding father of our generation will always be, Dr. Ron Paul. It is he who has passed on the ideas of our country’s founding fathers. We must continue to plant the seeds of liberty all over the world, as he teaches. We need to represent him well and read all instruction manuals, such as the ones on www.readthebooklist.com (Capitalism side) in order to preserve the ideals that he has passed on to us and retake America. We need to make sure that his legacy never dies. The RNC won this battle, but if we stay in this together, we will one day win the war and take back our once great nation.

“Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty.” –Thomas Jefferson





-->

No comments:

Post a Comment